When it comes to larger-scale radio-controlled monster trucks, there aren’t many that hold a candle to the burly Traxxas X-Maxx. A basher to its core, the X-Maxx has a loyal following among thrill-seeking hobbyists and has become a favorite among R/C fanatics.
Even though it’s a capable machine out of the box, it has a solid selection of upgrade options for switching up its style and speed, as well as bolstering durability.
As a side note, using coupon code “RCNEWB10” on products sold at prolineracing.com will save you 10% on your order.
Bodies & Body Cages
Traxxas has a knack for designing eye-catching bodies that suit the attitude of their vehicles. If your stock body has seen better days, or if you simply want to create your own custom lid, there are a few options which can help you out.
- Traxxas X-Maxx Pre-cut ProGraphix Body – $75.59 (Amazon.com)
- Traxxas X-Maxx Pre-cut Clear Body – $49.99 (Amazon.com)
- Pro-Line Pre-cut 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor Clear Body – $63.71
- Pro-Line Pre-Painted / Pre-Cut 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor Body (Gray/Blue) – $106.21
- Pro-Line Pre-Cut Brute Bash Armor (White) – $127.46
Tires & Wheels
When it comes to wear and tear, tires are one of the first components of a radio-controlled vehicle to show signs of use. If you’ve worn your tires down to the rims, here are some “new shoes” to get you rolling once again.
- Traxxas X-Maxx Pre-mounted Tires and Wheels (8s rated) – $63.00 (Amazon.com)
- Traxxas X-Maxx AT Tires and Foam Inserts – $34.51 (Amazon.com)
- Traxxas X-Maxx Pre-mounted Paddle Tires and Wheels – $74.98 (Amazon.com)
- Pro-Line Impulse Pro-Loc Black Wheels with Stone Gray Rings – $38.21 / $35.96 (Amazon.com)
- Pro-Line Badlands MX43 Pro-Loc Tires – $42.46
- Pro-Line Badlands MX43 Pro-Loc Tires (mounted on black Pro-Line Impulse Pro-Loc wheels) – $93.46 / $87.96 (Amazon.com)
- Pro-Line Sling Shot 4.3″ Pro-Loc Sand Truck Tires – $42.46
- Pro-Line Sling Shot 4.3″ Pro-Loc Sand Tires Mounted – $93.46
- Pro-Line Trencher 4.3″ Pro-Loc All Terrain Truck Tires – $55.21
- Pro-Line Trencher 4.3″ Pro-Loc All Terrain Tires Mounted – $106.21
- Pro-Line Impulse Pro-Loc Stone Gray Wheel Rings – $22.91
Chassis & Suspension
Out of the box, the Traxxas X-Maxx is designed to withstand a fair amount of abuse. That said, parts do break, and depending on how hard you’re running your R/C machine, they may need a little extra armor for survival. Thankfully, there are a variety of chassis and suspension upgrades which will help strengthen your truck and also improve performance.
- Hot Racing Aluminum Steering Linkage Set – $29.88 (Amazon.com)
- Hot Racing Aluminum Sway Bar (front and rear) – $28.88 (Amazon.com)
- Hot Racing Aluminum Sway Bar-ready Lower Arms – $78.88 (Amazon.com)
- Integy Aluminum Steering Linkage (blue) – $29.99 (Amazon.com)
- T-Bone Racing Full Chassis Skid Plate – $14.99
- T-Bone Racing Maximus Front Bumper – $35.99
- T-Bone Racing XV4 Front Bumper – $34.99
- T-Bone Racing Front A-Arm A-Skid Plates – $24.99
- T-Bone Racing Rear A-Arm A-Skid Plates – $24.99
- T-Bone Racing Front A-Skid plates for RPM Front A-Arms – $24.99
- T-Bone Racing V4 Rear Wheelie Bar Set – $39.99
- RPM Upper and Lower A-arms – $27.95
- RPM Front Bumper Mount – $10.95
- RPM Rear Bumper Mount – $10.95
- RPM Low Visibility Wheelie Bar – $14.95
- RPM Oversized Rear Axle Carriers – $24.95
- FastEddy Sealed Bearing Kit – $35.99
- Full Force RC Aluminum Rear Axle Carriers – $75.00
- Full Force RC Carbon Fiber Bulkhead Tie Bar Set – $20.00
- Pro-Line Ultra Reservoir Shock Cap – $101.96
- Pro-Line PowerStroke HD Shock Shafts – $50.96
- Pro-Line PowerStroke HD Shock Shaft Replacement – $19.51
- Pro-Line Dual Rate Spring Assortment – $42.46
- Pro-Line PowerStroke HD Shock Bodies and Adjustment Collars – $48.41
- Pro-Line PowerStroke HD Shock Shaft Seals – $11.01
- Pro-Line PowerStroke HD Plastics and Hardware Replacements – $14.41
- Pro-Line PowerStroke HD Aluminum Bottom Caps – $11.01
- Pro-Line PRO-Arms Upper and Lower Suspension Arm Kit – $50.96
- Pro-Line PRO-Hubs Hub Carriers – $25.46
Motors & ESCs
Although the X-Maxx is well-equipped when it comes to power, there are always ways to squeeze a little more speed out of this mammoth monster truck. If you have one of the earlier, pre-8s capable models, some of these motor and electronic speed control (ESC) upgrades may be a much-welcomed sight.
- Castle Creations Mamba XL X Extreme Brushless Motor and ESC Combo – $403.71
- Leopard Hobby 1/5 -scale 5892 Brushless Motor and ESC Combos – Various prices (eBay.com)
- HobbyWing EzRun Max6 ESC – $159.99 (Amazon.com)
- HobbyWing EzRun Max5 ESC – $199.99 (Amazon.com)
Body Accessories and LEDs
The X-Maxx isn’t a scale rig by nature, but you can add a number of accessories to it for greater scale and utility appeal.