I’ve driven just about every type of radio-controlled machine that you can imagine, but there is one area that I have yet to wade into; R/C boats. If you live near bodies of water that can be relatively calm, a boat may be the perfect first (or second, or third) radio-controlled vehicle for you. Traxxas recently announced a new speed boat that not only has wild, eye-popping graphics and a sleek hull design, but it also has the performance chops to match.
The DCB (Dave’s Custom Boats) M41 Widebody (#57046-4) is a 40” replica of a full-size water-ripping powerboat. While a real M-Series M41 is powered by a pair of Mercury Racing 1350 engines, and is capable of speeds close to 175mph, this smaller replica is powered by a Velineon 540XL brushless motor that is capable of 50mph (or more) when run on a 6S LiPo battery.
The twin-hull design is not only attractive, but it makes for a stable ride and solid performer when you’re out on the water. The Traxxas TQi 2.4GHz radio system is included, along with a 5-channel receiver and Traxxas Stability Management (TSM) to help you stay balanced in rough conditions. As with many Traxxas surface models, the electronic speed control (ESC) is water-cooled and waterproof, giving you a little more leeway to splash and be splashed while driving your R/C speed boat.
- 40″ DCB M41 Widebody Catamaran replica
- Stable! Twin-hull catamaran performs across waves and smooth water
- Water-cooled, waterproof VXL-6s Marine speed control
- 6S LiPo compatible with built-in Low-Voltage Detection
- Traxxas High-Current Connectors (patented)
- Velineon 540XL high-output brushless motor with high flow water-cooling jacket
- Quick-release Power Module integrates power system with waterproof electronics
- Adjustable battery trays with hook-and-loop straps
- Blue-anodized aluminum rudder support, rudder, and drive strut
- Stainless steel trim tabs, and hardware
- TQi 2.4GHz radio system and 5-channel receiver (which can be paired with the Traxxas Link Wireless Module #6511 and Traxxas Link app, sold separately)
- Traxxas Stability Management™ (TSM™) makes it easy to go fast
- Waterproof high-torque steering servo
This model is ready to go right out of the box, you’ll only need to supply your own batteries for the boat and the radio transmitter. The DCB M41 is priced at $474.99. Find out more about this new model at traxxas.com.
If you’re looking for more on-the-water R/C fun, take a look at the Traxxas Spartan, a brushless-powered race boat.
Image credit: Traxxas