With the year winding down, there are many new radio-controlled vehicles and updates to look forward to in 2017. Ending 2016 with a bang, Losi has announced a new, 1/10-scale ready-to-run (RTR) rock racer, the Rock Rey.
Based on their 1/10 Baja Rey trophy truck platform, the Rock Rey has an visually aggressive style with equally aggressive features and components. Beefy, 2.2″ tires allow this machine to roll over whatever you put in front of it, while the Dynamite 2800Kv brushless powerplant provides the power to motor through any type of terrain.
The chassis plate is constructed of durable, anodized aluminum to withstand abuse from rocks and trail debris. The handling setup on the Rock Rey features oil-filled, adjustable shocks with independent (front) and 4-link live (rear) suspension.
Rounding out these internal components are waterproof/resistant electronics and a 2.4GHz radio system and a Spektrum DX2E 2-channel controller. On the outside, a LED light bar provides added assistance for nighttime driving fun.
The only items needed to get the Rock Rey up and running are a 7.4V battery (LiPo or NiMh) and a battery charger.
Losi Rock Rey Specifications
- Type: Off-Road Desert Truck
- Scale: 1/10
- Length: 20.75 in (527mm)
- Width: 12.75 in (323.8mm)
- Height: 8.75 in (222.3mm)
- Ground Clearance: 2.2 in (55.9mm) at rear diff
- Wheelbase: 15.0 in (381mm)
- Weight: 6.55 lb (3.0kg)
- Chassis: 3.5mm Plate, 6061-T6 Aluminum
- Suspension: Independent Front/4-Link Rear
- Drivetrain: 4wd (locked rear, gear diff front and rear)
- Tire Type: Maxxis Creeper Crawler LT
- Motor or Engine: 550 6-Pole 2800kv Non-Sensored Brushless
- Speed Control: Dynamite 130 Amp WP
- Radio: Spektrum DX2E 2.4GHz
- Servos: Included
- Batteries: 2S 5000mah 30C Li-Po with EC3™ Connectors
- Charger: Not Included
- Shock Type: Oil-Filled/Coil-Over Spring
- Ball Bearings:Yes
Priced at $449.99, the Losi Rock Rey should be a welcome addition to the 1/10-scale rock racing scene. With other RTR models available from Axial (Yeti and RR10 Bomber) and Vaterra (Twin Hammers), this is a growing area of the hobby that shows no signs of slowing down.
Image credit: Losi