If you have the space, and a “standard” 1/10 or 1/18 scale radio-controlled machine isn’t giving you the level of fun that you’re looking for, you might be ready to step into the world of large-scale R/C. One such vehicle, Losi’s 1/5-scale Desert Buggy has received a facelift in the form of sharp, new K&N graphics, giving this already menacing beast an even more intimidating appearance.
Looks aside, this nitro-powered off-road machine houses a number of impressive features, starting with the fact that it’s an almost read-to-run (artr) machine, so you won’t need to do much prep-work to get this machine going out of the box. While gas-powered radio-controlled vehicles need a little more cleanup and care, the tradeoff is a truck that sounds amazing and captures the spirit of a 1:1 vehicle in a slightly-smaller package.
- K&N is recognized as a world leader in filter technology. Instant credibility in the motorsports world.
- Genuine K&N Air Filter, Increased air flow for increased engine performance.
- Established and proven DBXL Chassis. Affordable, durable large scale vehicle.
- 4-wheel drive performance and drivability.
- 23cc Gasoline Engine. Easy to use, reliable, upgradeable.
- Roll Cage protects chassis and can be removed by taking of only 10 body clips.
- 24mm Hex Standard Hex size in 1/5th scale vehicles. Allows for use of multiple tire and wheel combinations.
- Sealed differentials last longer and provide endless tuning options.
- Type: 4WD RTR Off-Road Gas Buggy
- Scale: 1/5
- Length: 30.75 in (781mm)
- Width: 19.1 in (485.1mm)
- Height: 12.25 in (311.1mm)
- Ground Clearance: 3.1 in (78.7mm)
- Wheelbase: 22.0 (558.8mm)
- Weight: 28.7 lb (13.01 kg)
- Chassis: 4mm Plate, 6061-T6 Aluminum
- Suspension: Independent
- Drivetrain: 4WD
- Tire Type: All-Terrain 7.8 in (198.1mm) Diameter
- Motor or Engine: Pull start 23cc gasoline
- Radio: Spektrum DX2E 2-Channel
- Servos: Installed 30 kg Servo
- Batteries: Dynamite 1700 mah Receiver Pack
- Wheel Size: 4.75 in (120.65mm)
- Kit/RTR: RTR
- Shock Type: Oil-Filled, Coil-over Springs
- Body: Panels, Silkscreened
- Ball Bearings: Full Ball Bearing Drivetrain
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 740cc
- Experience Level: Intermediate
- Recommended Environment: Outdoor
- Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour
With a price of $999.99, this vehicle is geared toward the hardcore hobbyist. If nitro-powered R/C action is what you crave, then this vehicle might be the perfect addition for you. Learn more about the Losi K&N DBXL 1/5-scale Desert Buggy at Losi.com.
Image credit: Losi